View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: Research and development (help wanted)

Hey Tom,

The guy who worked on my struts, asked me to come after sometime to collect them. He usually does this modification without allowing anyone to see the process.

I was curious enough to come a bit early and catch him in the act. He got nervous and asked me to come back later but I stayed lol.

Anyways, as you can see from the picture below, he removed the OEM cap off the strut and converted it to a screw type head with a normal on top screw cap.

What I saw him doing, was pouring a bit of ATF fluid inside the strut at the bottom before inserting the mechanism. Then he poured normal engine oil and closed the cap. This is the SECOND time I had him work on my struts, the first when one of them was leaking, I asked him to rebuild all 4 struts and make them stiffer. I think he close the original small hole inside the housing and drill a smaller one to make the oil move slower, hence resulting in a stiffer strut.

The second time was to install the adjustable coilovers. Now they are barely SHOCK absorbers, the feel is simply a bouncy ride as if welded to the chassis. Adding to that the full polyurethane bushings kit I installed too. Without even installing Nevin's bar, I can officially say that I have the stiffest SVX suspension in the World.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20121206-00057.jpg (429.2 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20121208-00058.jpg (432.4 KB, 185 views)

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.