View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 07:12 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Re: Valve cover gaskets - How the F do you get the cover back in place??

Ugh, what a nightmare. Thanks for the tips all. I fought with it forever, and it finally went - but in the process of trying to get it in place, I tore the gasket a little. I bolted it up anyway, in the hope that it would seal but of course it's dripping now. And tomorrow is Sunday, so I can't even get a new gasket. Now I'm really glad I got my BMW back on the road a couple weeks ago, otherwise I'd be SOL for a ride to work on Monday.

I used the how-to, it was very helpful for everything, except I just couldn't get that stupid cover back on. I tried the silicone in the corners, but it fell out anyway. I think I may have used too much. I ended up just putting the damn cover in place with the gasket all falling out of it, and then once it was sort of in the proper position, I went around with my fingers and pushed the gasket into the groove just before pushing it into place and bolting it up.

Now I have to get a new gasket, and do it all over again when I can get to it. Won't be for 3 weeks at the earliest