Old 04-07-2008, 04:40 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRbZ View Post
Hello everyone

When I fill up a full tank of petrol and drive out the petrol station the guage goes up all the way, as it should... but after about 5 minutes the guage wonders off and drops off to about over halfway and then would decide to go all the way back up again and drop down and go back up (it does it slowly).
The most annoying thing is that when I realistically do have less than half a tank left, the guage drops off all the way (below E) and maybe rises back up once during the time that I'm getting towards the end of the tank but the guage's indicator stick thing stays heaps below E in that duration......... until i fill up petrol again.
I've been looking around at the How-Tos and some peoples Lockers and couldn't find any info, I'm guessing this isn't common fault...
Can someone please help me with this issue, has anyone had this problem and what do you think it could be?
Thanks a lot, Jordan.
This is a common fault. All SVX fuel gauges tend to read funny, or at least I have never seen a post from somebody saying, "Mine's perfect".

The reason there is no How-To is because the only fix that was ever discussed was to change the sender in your tank.

What you are describing with yours would indicate that the sender is not making good contact as it ranges across the rheostat, or whatever medium it reads. Or you could have a bad earth, but my guess is a bad sender.

The tank itself is plastic. It would be worth your while to take up the back seat and check that the pump and sender has a clean earth connection, that it is securely grounded. [Corrosion could make the signal uneven or intermittent]

If you do this and there is no improvement then there is no known cure except to buy a new or secondhand tank sender.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl