View Single Post
Old 08-09-2007, 01:50 PM

Powdercoat costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot
Oooohhhh, spiffy. How much was it to powdercoat all 4? If you don't mind me asking. I'm tossing around painting or powdercoating and can't really decide. Other than cleaning, what prep work is involved for powdercoating?
I think I paid $60 to have all 4 coated. Keep in mind this was using a powdercoat shop near Ten Mile TN in East TN that does a lot of machinery component powdercoating for the company for which I work. The actual walk-in quote is probably closer to $80 or $90 for the set (that includes the mounting brackets.) A quote I got in the big city of Knoxville where I live wanted $35 a caliper, mounting brackets not included.

As far as prep work, you have to sand blast the heck out of them. He offers sandblasting for an additional $20 a set; well worth it if you don't have access to one. To get the smooth finish like mine, I spent a solid hour for all 4 grinding/sanding the sand cast roughness - no cost as I already owned the grinder and the flapper disk; I didn't even use up the disk. When you get them back, you have to chase all of the threaded holes with a tap to clear out any of the stray coating, otherwise your bolt hardware could gall when it's time to reassemble.

The smooth powder coat finish, combined with Akebono ProACT ceramic pads leaves NO brake dust on the calipers. I can go months in between washing the calipers and they shine bright just like in the pics.