View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvXSubaru92
Well.....I cleaned the spark plugs throughly about a week ago, and replaced a coil that was bad, car started. I was keeping the rpm's over 2000 to get rid of all the fuel in the cylinder, it smoked for 5 minutes, then cleared up. I took it for a drive, It still has absolutly no acceleration, and a o2 sensor code came up.

My dad took it for a longer drive today, and the exhaust turned RED HOT! from the headers to tailpipes, they were red. They engine wasn't overheating. But HOW?! Could it be a clogged cat? muffler? To much fuel? I'm still amazed, I've never heard, seen something like this. Help me out. Thanks
Were both sides of the exhaust glowing?

The only things to cause this is a very lean mixture, or a very retarded spark.
I would go for the spark, being retarded.
Either the crankshaft position sensors are bad. Or
The crankshaft sprocket is in the wrong position, on the crank.
But you can be sure it is to do with one of these.
I seem to remember that you replaced the cam pulley, if it was the left hand side, was the replacement pulley the same as the orignal. The left one has pertrusions on the back that trigger the cam position sensor, the right side one does not.

A timing light that will trigger off the No.1 coil input will show the ignition timing, a dealer would have one. If you cant get that type, you could pull thr No.1 coil and run the timing light of it, the car will only run on 5 cylinders.
The timing should be 20*+- 8* at 610 rpm before top dead center. The marks are on the crank pulley.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.