View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by b3lha
3D-Trans called me late this afternoon and said that they've tested the transmission (on the car) and it's making a noise which they think might be planetary damage - which costs extra to fix.

This is the same situation which happened 4 years and 40k miles ago. Level10 said that the planetaries had melted and charged me extra to fix them.

I don't understand enough about gearboxes, but it sounds like this is different to the usual SVX problem of burnt out clutches. Could somebody explain this to me in more detail?

Phil.
Hi Phil, as you probable know, the planetary gear sets are lubed by the oil flow, that comes from the torque converter, through the cooler. This oil is then pumped into the main shaft, to lube and cool the gear sets.

If the trans has had flakey linings on the lock-up clutch, the pieces can lodge in a number of places. like the cooler, and the mainshaft. The main shaft has a drilling through its length, half way along is a seal that is pushed into it and held by a pin. This seal may have been damaged by a previous heat episode. There is also a plug that is pushed into the back end of the mainshaft, that is removed to clean it, and a bush in the front that seals it. If any one of these is damaged or missing, the cooling lube is lost.

As yours has had the gear set destroyed by no lube before, there is a good chance that one of these things has been overlooked. As most auto boxes don't pump the cooler oil into the shafts, they just dump it back into the pan.

There is a writing about ' repeated gear set failure' in the End Wrench sheets.

All the best,this time.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.