Thread: The SVX and you
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Registered SVX
Re: The SVX and you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcyoneSVX View Post
Well said Tom. This is a great read for anyone considering buying a SVX (and maybe for some owners as well). A lot of good points are brought up.
I, like dromano, don't plan on letting my SVX go, ever! She's a '92, twenty years young and going strong. 65,000 miles on her when I bought her fifteen years ago, she's now a few miles away from 230,000.
I have to admit, when I first got her, I (like Tom mentioned about younger buyers with limited budgets), didn't know what I was getting into. My first few years were hard. I had bearing failures like crazy, so many that I lost count. Also, I had to have the third transmission put in the car. At the car's ten year mark, she needed so much engine work, I had a major decision to make. Get rid of her or bite the bullet and fix her.
Needless to say, I decided to fix her. I think that was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Little by little I got everything taken care of. She became a reliable daily driver. I became much more aware of the importance of maintenance (I think age and maturity had a bit to do with that) and my love for the car continued to grow.
In 2006 I took a job in New York. The SVX was put into storage. Five years later, another change in jobs brought me back to California.
Now, with a new look, my SVX is once again my daily driver. I can't imagine not having her in my life.
For anyone considering buying one, I would say this:
Buy one because you love it. Know what you're getting into, and be willing to do what it needs to keep it on the road.
Alcyone,

Great minds think on the same parallel
It's been my intention since about 2 years into the SVX experience that this SVX would be my daily driver till I fall apart. I'll do an engine rebuild in a heart beat. The only stuff I don't understand about the SVX falls into the electronic bucket, all else I do myself except change tires, that tool is way expensive.

If you come out Palm Desert way let me know, we'll have an old Subaru mini meet. I lived in Orange County for 9 years before moving to Oregon for 24 years, finally reached my rain limit, ended up here in the low desert.
PM me, Ive give you my phone & email.

My wife went to Fullerton College in the early 60's.

Keep your SVX mobile.