Thread: The SVX and you
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 09:29 PM

Re: The SVX and you

Close to 2 years later, my perspective ...

I've owned a 92 Ebony LSi since 1997. I purchased it in early 97 with 50,000 kilometres on it for $15,000.

Now it's 13.5 years later. I'm on my third transmission (this one's a good re-manned one and I have a capable transmission cooler installed. I've replaced many of the key parts when they've ceased functioning .. water pump. alternator, shocks, new valve cover gaskets, etc.

With the recent maintenance after 3 yrs of storage, the installation of both an ECU and TCU from ECUTune and a new paint job, I've put about $11,000 into it over 13,5 years.

I've also spent hours with seat leather restorer, toothbrush-detailing of the entire interior and cleaning and polishing (the original Ebony Mica paint wasn't too bad, but now with the new paint it's that lovely-black-but-deep-brown-maroon-with-sparkly-bits that looks so mysteriously-why-isn't-it-black when you look at it for a moment longer.

The engine is almost pristine. No leaks.

$11,000 plus the purchase price of $15,000 = $26,000.

There is NO WAY - I feel - that I could match the build quality, luxury, performance, peppy driving, smooth cruising and seating comfort with any new or used German or Japanese sports sedan if I had to spend that $26,000 today.

Bonus: I've gotten to know a quirky car really quite well. It's useful to have a vision and patience.

Yesterday I said to my mechanic .. "It's running better and looking nicer than when I bought it". He had been there to check it over when I bought it, has done virtually all the work over the years, and yesterday he agreed.

He's gotten really interested in it over the years, as a challenge (he's a really smart guy, having decided to become a (very successful) mechanic 1/2-way through his therefore-incomplete PhD in political science).

Since it's been restored to the road in March, I have told him several times he should be proud of himself.

I consider the money I have spent very fair value for the car I now drive daily, with a big smile.

92 Mercedes Benz 300CE, Arctic White 187,000 kms