View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 11:23 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Filip, I think you have worn out the brake band, that supplies 2nd and 4th, and the high clutch is slipping.
You say;

This event was the first signs that the brake band was slipping to get worse. The band is applied to shift from 3rd to 4th, this leaves you with 1st and slightly slipping 3rd.
This section;

This bit I think you are slowing down in 3rd, to 2nd to accelerate away so the band slips till 3500 when the high clutch engages again. A bit hard to tell the change points as you have it in Economy Mode that will make it stay in the gear to lower road speeds, before it changes down, and change up at lower road speed. You would do better with that Mode turned off to reduce the load on the band and clutch.

So the way I see it happened was the band did a bit of slipping when it was driving in 4th, this wore it till it will not work for both 2nd and 4th.
I can’t see any signs that 3rd is not working, but, maybe slipping under load.
In this bit,

I think it was accelerating in 1st,, the change to 2nd happened, but the band slipped till 3500 when the high clutch came on with a bang, for 3rd .

I think a rebuild would be the best plan, they would use the upgraded parts, and you end up with a reliably transmission.
I see that I have provided food for some ongoing thought.

Although possible, there is no proof that the band is completely worn out. If this is in fact the problem, surely the first option is to try adjusting the band and thus prove the point, rather than rush into the huge expense of rebuilding the transmission.

The band could be worn to the point of slipping, but not completely worn out.

The necessary instructions are included in the manuals and the process is not that arduous. (Hard or difficult.)

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 12-23-2018 at 01:15 AM.