View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 10:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

Filip, I think you have worn out the brake band, that supplies 2nd and 4th, and the high clutch is slipping.
You say;

Quote:
"(5) Think very carefully about this and see if you can think of anything of any sort which could have haven happened at this point when the problem commenced and in particular something that you may not have thought important at the time?"*Actually, there is something. From beginning, SVX had sometimes problem to shift to 4th gear. Problem in the sense, that i had to release gas pedal to make it shift up. Otherwise, it would just rev up. In the best case tranny would shift to 4th, but in similar fashion, i describing above** **. I was driving uphill, on my way home from Germany, when this first happen.

This event was the first signs that the brake band was slipping to get worse. The band is applied to shift from 3rd to 4th, this leaves you with 1st and slightly slipping 3rd.
This section;

Quote:
"(1) In what gear does this slipping occur?". In 1st. Slipping happen only after slowing down and then speeding up. Slipping never happen when just driving straightly. Problematic situations are e.g. when braking before crosswalk and when braking before corner. Both these situations have in common, that after braking, car is not stopped, but only slowed down from 50kmph to say 20kmph and that transmission down shifting from 2nd to what looks like 1**

Lower the speed after slowing down is, the less clutch slips. In extreme, when i stop the car on crosswalk, then tranny starts straightly from 1 and in my case, not slipping. Opposite situation happen, if i would slow down car to say 30kmph. In this case, slip would happen and would continue, until i would hit that magic 3500rpm line, which would make tranny shift to 2.
This bit I think you are slowing down in 3rd, to 2nd to accelerate away so the band slips till 3500 when the high clutch engages again. A bit hard to tell the change points as you have it in Economy Mode that will make it stay in the gear to lower road speeds, before it changes down, and change up at lower road speed. You would do better with that Mode turned off to reduce the load on the band and clutch.

So the way I see it happened was the band did a bit of slipping when it was driving in 4th, this wore it till it will not work for both 2nd and 4th.
I can’t see any signs that 3rd is not working, but, maybe slipping under load.
In this bit,

Quote:
* **"Therefore it only shifts up if the load is taken off the transmission". Exactly this feeling i have. I would add, that in say 20% cases, shift change to 2nd is also accompanied by relatively heavy kind of force struck going to rear wheels. As if computer would be confused and with kind of inertia suddenly woke itself up. This also happen, when shifting, without releasing gas pedal. In this situation exact shift point is varied, but is always above 3500rpm, higher than when gas pedal released.
I think it was accelerating in 1st,, the change to 2nd happened, but the band slipped till 3500 when the high clutch came on with a bang, for 3rd .

I think a rebuild would be the best plan, they would use the upgraded parts, and you end up with a reliably transmission.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.