View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 08:14 AM

Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

Hello Trevor,

Merry Christmas to you too !

"(1) In what gear does this slipping occur?". In 1st. Slipping happen only after slowing down and then speeding up. Slipping never happen when just driving straightly. Problematic situations are e.g. when braking before crosswalk and when braking before corner. Both these situations have in common, that after braking, car is not stopped, but only slowed down from 50kmph to say 20kmph and that transmission down shifting from 2nd to what looks like 1*

Lower the speed after slowing down is, the less clutch slips. In extreme, when i stop the car on crosswalk, then tranny starts straightly from 1 and in my case, not slipping. Opposite situation happen, if i would slow down car to say 30kmph. In this case, slip would happen and would continue, until i would hit that magic 3500rpm line, which would make tranny shift to 2.

* I have not mentioned it, but when i release gas pedal, engine drops down to 1000rpm, with ECO mode ON, or OFF. I suppose this is due to that limp mode. I writing it because, one time i seriously thought, tranny downshifting itself to N.

* * "Therefore it only shifts up if the load is taken off the transmission". Exactly this feeling i have. I would add, that in say 20% cases, shift change to 2nd is also accompanied by relatively heavy kind of force struck going to rear wheels. As if computer would be confused and with kind of inertia suddenly woke itself up. This also happen, when shifting, without releasing gas pedal. In this situation exact shift point is varied, but is always above 3500rpm, higher than when gas pedal released.

"(2) Check and advise that the gear position indicator lights are working properly." Checked. Working OK.

"(3) Do you think 3rd gear had become engaged or was the transmission in 1st or 2nd gear?" My statement "When I put shift lever to 3, car is acting like if it would be in neutral..." is misleading fake news . In 3, shift change actually never happens. It just stay in 1st gear and rev up. Please keep in mind, that i am not 100% sure on this one, as i did not want to damage the car, by testing this many times.

"(4) At this stage it would be well worthwhile to do this test again and confirm the result." Code 24 persist. Code shows up only when in diagnostic mode.

"(5) Think very carefully about this and see if you can think of anything of any sort which could have haven happened at this point when the problem commenced and in particular something that you may not have thought important at the time?" Actually, there is something. From beginning, SVX had sometimes problem to shift to 4th gear. Problem in the sense, that i had to release gas pedal to make it shift up. Otherwise, it would just rev up. In the best case tranny would shift to 4th, but in similar fashion, i describing above * * . I was driving uphill, on my way home from Germany, when this first happen.

"(6) Was the gauge connected to the correct port?" Yes, i am sure. It was the same port, from which we originally declined to measure, due to oil leak.

"(7) Where the measurements taken while driving the car?" Yes.

"(8) Did the transmission shift only to 1st and 2nd and not move into 3rd?" Yes.

"(10) In post 32 that you referred to a switch and some loose wiring. This raises the question as to whether a previous owner has made alteration and messed things about. Please advise in this regard so that this can be be considered in detail." Only ideas i can add to this are:
a) Seat heating is not working due to cut wires.
b) On roof, there was mounted aftermarket antenna, most probably for GPS signal, as the factory one is normally working. Its cable is led through the ceiling.
c) I think, that a+b means that previous owner, had installed sort of 2DIN panel, due to which he was messing around with wiring.
d) I still donīt see clear connection to that switch though. But these are only things worth mentioning. What are your impressions ?

Trevor, thank you for trying to help me, i appreciate that a lot !

For long time, i wanted to buy SC400. But one day, i saw SVX on the road and fall in love with it. Now, when i have one, i can only say, it is worth some initial pain and troubles. Important only is, before investing money into repairs, how to invest them in most effective way.

Filip

Last edited by Filip; 12-22-2018 at 08:50 AM.