View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 11:45 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Hello Trevor,

due to some issues, i couldnīt devote my time to SVX fully - therefore short hiatus...

I see, that we both have similar sense of humor and understand each other in this sense, which is always welcomed

Talking about transmission, it is sort of good news and bad news routine. Good news is, that it is VTD type after all. Bad one, that it is also well pressurised one. Numbers in all shift modes, either with ECO on or off, were above value of 40 PSI, you mentioned.

I assuming this means, that i should recall, where the hell i put that piggybank of mine last time

Winter weather has come to my country, which is typically time, when i not drive my cars. This year, it will also be time, to carefully think out, how to proceed further with SVX.

Looking forward to your opinion.

With regards
Filip

Merry Christmas Filip,

You make a point, “Winter weather has come to my country, which is typically time, when i not drive my cars. This year, it will also be time, to carefully think out, how to proceed further with SVX.”

Yes while you have your thinking cap on and time available let us go over everything again from the beginning.

You first post advises:-

The SVX won't go into 3rd and 4th gear. In 1st gear, I must go to exactly to 3500rpm and above, in order to tranny change gear to 2nd. Also I must depress (later corrected as actually release) gas pedal, to make it shift. Otherwise, it would just stay in 1st gear and rev up.

Therefore it only shifts up if the load is taken off the transmission.

Possibly the throttle position signal be at fault and we must keep this in mind.

In some situations, when going around 15-30mph, after braking, clutch is slipping, so I have to rev the car a bit in order to accelerate.

(1) In what gear does this slipping occur? It would appear in 1st gear.

When I put shift lever to 3, car is acting like if it would be in neutral - after pressing gas pedal down, revs are going higher, but speed is not, it looks like clutch is slipping. I must be around 5000 rpm in order to make it accelerate.

It is possible that the inhibitor switch is out of adjustment and giving a wrong signal. Therefore --

(2) Check and advise that the gear position indicator lights are working properly.

(3) Do you think 3rd gear had become engaged or was the transmission in 1st or 2nd gear?

When I tried self-diagnostics (power light) I got code 24, which is duty solenoid C…

(4) At this stage it would be well worthwhile to do this test again and confirm the result.

Post 8 advises:-

It's hard for me to believe this, as first 500 miles, the tranny was absolutely OK - nicely shifting in all 4 gears. No clutch slipping.

(5) Think very carefully about this and see if you can think of anything of any sort which could have haven happened at this point when the problem commenced and in particular something that you may not have thought important at the time?

Post 34 advises:-

Talking about transmission, it is sort of good news and bad news routine. Good news is, that it is VTD type after all. Bad one, that it is also well pressurised one. Numbers in all shift modes, either with ECO on or off, were above value of 40 PSI, you mentioned.

(6) Was the gauge connected to the correct port?

(7) Where the measurements taken while driving the car?

(8) Did the transmission shift only to 1st and 2nd and not move into 3rd?

(9) If the car was not being driven on the road was the transmission put under load with the brakes on and or the wheels chocked?

(10) In post 32 that you referred to a switch and some loose wiring. This raises the question as to whether a previous owner has made alteration and messed things about. Please advise in this regard so that this can be be considered in detail.

Please go through the above and answer each question, quoting the reference numbers provided so that we keep everything in logical order. Tedious I know, but so was writing this lengthy analysis. LOL

You have the sort of problem which has sent many an SVX to the grave and we must not let that happen. Otherwise we can not make this a Happy New Year.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by svxcess; 12-12-2018 at 04:45 PM.