View Single Post
Old 06-15-2003, 05:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
I have just got my hands on a B&M cooler and permacool filter.

I have a reasonable understanding of fluid dynamics, and all things being perfect, series is the way to go.

My concern is that I have a '92. If the original cooler mesh becomes clogged, there will be no flow through the B&M either.

If I install in parallel, I have 2 chances of cooling my tranny fluid, but will the B&M be man enough to give sufficient cooling if it offers the path of least resistance?

Also, if the fluid is travelling through both coolers, as it must in a perfect situation, (ie if the B&M has half the resistance of the stock cooler, it will carry fluid at a ratio of 2:1 with the stock cooler) then the velocity of the fluid through the cooler will be reduced, extending its contact time in the cooler, and therefore increasing the operation efficiency of the cooler.

Does it therefore follow that the benefits of series-vs-parallel depend on the cooling capacity/resistance of the two coolers being used?

Also is the fluid pump, pressure or flow rated? (ie does it try to maintain a constant pressure or a constant flow rate?)

If the pump is 'flow rated' then series would be best as the pressure would be increased to compensate for the increased resistance of the two coolers, thereby maintaining the flow through them.

If the pump is 'pressure rated' then parallel would be best as the flow rate would increase to compensate for the lower resistance.

If the pump is 'constant rated' could it then follow that parallel must be best, as in series the flow rate will be reduced by the increased resistance.

(Series RT = R1+R2 )

(Parallel 1/RT =1/R1+1/R2 )

(Velocity = Pressure/Resistance)

Sorry, brain smoking, overload imminent, time to bail out

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954