View Single Post
Old 02-20-2003, 12:26 AM

Well let me see if I can cover some things. I have attempted to take my rear bearings out and hesitated until I could find some more information on it. So far the axle nut has a torque spec of 126 lb./ft if reused, if you get a new axle nut then it is 150 lb./ft. This should not be taken of with an air gun. (Subaru service bulletin). Nor should any other bolt from what I understand. The ABS sensor must come out of the hub if you are having the bearing pressed in for you and have to take off the hub. Use PB fluid to aid you in this. It is suppose to just slide out but some have used a chisel to wedge it out. Beav suggested that if it can’t come out then follow it to the other end and unplug it there cause if you break it it costs over a $100. And of course replace the bearing grease.
Now to put it back together I read in the Subaru service bulletin that it is crucial not to over tighten the lateral link bolt. If you do then it warps the bearing housing and significantly shortens the bearing life. My question is the torque specs on this bolt. Stevebsy was kind enough to write in on that question with:

Lateral link bolts?
Torque for those is (ft-lb):

for the shorter ones: 61-83
for the longer ones: 72-101

for the trailing link it is:
101-130 for the short one
80-101 for the long ones

hope that is what you need

But when I look at the assembly. I only see 1 lateral bolt? This is my last question before I will tear into mine in about three weeks again. Shouldn’t there be one torque spec for the lateral bolt. And if so what is it?
I would like to say that all this is information that I have found on this site. I have yet to do my own (check back in a few weeks ). That being said all this information is not!! from my personal experience but what was available to me via this site. Best of luck and please let me know about that torque spec. if you find it.

Blue94