Thread: 4EAT failure?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 4EAT failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Ouch.

I'm such a moron. I never knew that's how you checked the tranny fluid level. I thought that you did it the same as the oil, with the engine off but warm.

Well - if it's shot, then yeah, I guess I need to get an Outback tranny. I'm told that a '98 model year is what I would probably want. Doing a little online shopping I saw these for sale:

http://www.autopartsfair.com/subaru-...theautochannel

I don't know if I'm searching properly or not but I imagine that's about what I'm looking for, eh? I was hoping to find one for ~$200 or so but $349 isn't THAT much worse.

No it doesn't. But I've got the FWD fuse in right now, because my rear diff was messed up a while back (related to my idiocy with the tranny fluid leak maybe?). So with the rear diff disabled will the lack of a 4.44 gear be a problem? I know almost NOTHING about gearing, transmissions, and differentials... I guess I've already proved that here.
you dont really want to run with the FWD fuse in, its very hard on the front diff, and possibly the trans as well.

If you put in a 4.44 geared trans you do want to change out the gears in the rear diff as well.