Thread: Duty Solenoid C
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack
Thanks Randy, but I am not sure I understand the grass thing. As I understand it, if the C solenoid goes bad, then the car is in 50/50 power distribution all the time. So if that is the case, it would seem unlikely that the front tires would spin. What I was wondering was even tho the light is coming on, maybe in fact the transmission is still in the 90/10 mode rather than the 50/50 mode and is there any way to tell? I will go ahead and try the grass thing anyway and let you know how it goes. The estimate I got was $1k to replace the solenoid assuming nothing else is wrong, so sounds like you are right on about that.// Jack

Depends on whether the solenoid quit when it was open, or when it was closed.

When mine was stuck in full-time AWD, I could "feel" it. It's a totally unmistakable feeling when turning sharply (especially in reverse). You can just feel all four wheels pulling. I know it sounds weird, but that was MY experience. It's not so much a "binding" as it is a "knowing" that all four wheels are working at equal levels.

You can try inserting the FWD fuse to see if there is any change in the characteristics of the car with the fuse in and the fuse out.

My problem turned out to be the TCU. If you put the fuse in, and it will not *stay* in FWD mode, then, your problem is more than likely a TCU problem too. Interestingly, I got no Power Light, when my TCU was going bad.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI