View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade
SVXride:
We're probably not talking about changing the throttle body or the MAF cross sectional area, so, we'd really like to know the pressure drop between the airbox and the throttle body butterfly. Can you measure pressure at the little plenum where the plastic snorkus connects to the two throttle body throats? I was going to say we could use manifold pressure, but unless the engine is fully loaded at 6000 rpm, it won't be WOT, so there will be some unknown pressure drop across the partially open butterflies. If we knew the pressure drop between the airbox and the throttle body inlet at any given rpm, we could calculate the air flow based on the rpm, then calculate the velocity pressure based on the airflow, then, the rest of the pressure difference would be dynamic and frictional losses in the snorkus. Those, we might be able to do something about.

I agree with you, that the reason the aerodynamics were compromsied was packing the intake pathway into a constricted space, and making provisions for servicing (the corrugations).

As far as the CFD, its on my list. I'm going to have to sneak it into the queue. We're so busy right now, my CFD people are backed up for a couple of weeks, and I'm fielding internal emergency complaints from my partners. I'm probably going to have to draw it up and bring in the drawing, because dumping the actual unit I removed from my car on somebody's desk is not the most discrete way of going about getting an analysis done.
'slade,
now you're talking I'll have to talk to Mychailo about getting him to lend me his digital manometer again. Last time I used it I was just concerned about what the ram air set up was doing, thus the single measurement port in the airbox. What I can tell you from that test series is that I didn't see any "ram" effect until I got the car over 40 mph (surprising? no....).
Let me see if I can scare up a spare snorkus...probably easier to rig a variable flow rate fan up to one end and instrument the inlet and outlet...
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker