View Single Post
Old 11-26-2003, 03:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Our last Legacy had four discs, and I'm almost certain that the rear calipers swung away the same as the fronts. The drum-in-disc parking brake does not complicate things at all - unless you have the parking brake actually set.

As for cleaning, I use whatever I have laying around...brake cleaner, simple green, whatever. I make sure that all sliding parts are completely free of any stuck deposits - sometimes I have to use a little sandpaper or steel wool to get all the spots off. I clean the little rubber boots inside and out. I use my dremel with a wire wheel on the outer sliding parts. Then I seal it all back up with some brake caliper grease.

And even then, I've still had calipers get sticky and drag on the rotors...argh. I love Subaru cars, but that's an annoying trait, man...

Edit: The grease is important. Go to an auto parts store and get 'brake caliper grease.' It comes in little one-time-use tubes or big tubs with handy included brushes that get covered in the stuff while you store it. 'Regular old grease' will not work - at least reliably.

Another edit: Get some nitrile gloves - the blue ones. They're so worth it, especially when working on brakes. You can just slip them off and, viola, you have clean hands. After a brake job, that's more than a novelty.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 11-26-2003 at 03:14 PM.