Thread: SVX Windshield
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2002, 02:03 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
There are also "Hot Knifes" that are used in this application. It is an L-shaped soldering iron that heats just enough to cut without the goo melting back together. It takes about 20 minutes to cut through the seal all the way around.

I've used a hot knife in the past and it works well for one person windsheild removal.

With any glass work, you are risking breakage so be careful and hope for the best. I would estimate that a first timer has a 50/50 chance of breaking it. Pros probably still have a 25% breakage on removal which is why no shop will do used glass work.

Also, while you have the cowl cover off (I believe you need to take it off to remove windsheild) sand it down and repaint it with rustolium or have a shop black epoxy it. I saw many SVXs at Reading (including mine) with rusting cowl covers. Black and rust is never a good color combination on the SVX. With it out, you can make sure that all the edges are properly protected.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker