View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Push Button Start

I've thought about it too. It wouldn't be too hard to simply wire in a button that would activate the start function of the ignition, but you would still have to put the key in and turn it to RUN. In order to have true keyless push button start you need much more technology involved. RFID from the fob to the car, a module that cycles through the ACCY/RUN/START positions depending on how the button is pressed, and a few other safety things.

I'm not saying it can't be done (in fact I think someone built a system like this for an Impreza) but to have it fully integrated will be a lot of work.

Edit: Actually, I just did some Google-ing and it seems that you can buy stand-alone RFID secured push button start systems on Ebay, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quality-RFID...-/191098357068

One thing I still have an issue with is that there is no way to control the steering lock, you have to disable it for this to work. In such a case there is literally nothing that prevents someone from smashing a window, putting your car in neutral and pushing it away. And in the case of a manual transmission car, I don't know if there's anything that would prevent a theif from push-starting the car and simply driving away.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 04-04-2014 at 09:35 AM.