View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

2.2L Engine Roar Please what is it?

I am wishing someone could tell from their experience about a noise I hear from the engine.

I am looking at a used Legacy and I don't want to get stuck. I have never seen this on a Subaru before and I thought some of you might be interested in this.

When the engine is cold it sounds fine.

After it warms up there is a consistent rumble noise. Kind of low frequency and sounding similar to a lot of air moving, sort of like a lions roar. At idle when its hot it is not real loud and as the engine speed picks up it get louder. When I took off the oil filler cap I could here the rumble roar inside the filler pipe. So it is inside the engine. Any ideas?

It is a 94 Legacy 2.2 with about 167k miles. It seems to run okay, has pick-up and has power. I took off the hose to PCV. The face of the PCV is all crapped up with black carbon. Looks like the PCV is clogged up a lot. The exhaust looks clean no smoke. The oil pan has the bottom pushed up and I just mention that.

The blow-by out of the crankcase I checked with the hose off the PCV. This seemed a little higher than other Subaru engines I have checked and the flow looked clean. The flow went away when the engine speed pick-up.

Take care of that SVX

John