View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Mechanical 'L' plater ahead

Re: How do I remove centre tail light cover?

Apologies if resurrecting this annoys, but I've done my best to try and work it out by searching threads here and asking for advice from autoparts stores (and a rubber store). From threads etc I get where I need to check next if this doesn't turn out to be the only leak source, but I'm stuck on this atm. Will put everything I know/have done so I don't waste anyone's time.

As far as I can see from the parts diagrams, the only gaskets/seals are two behind either turn signal and two on each side of the centre light assy, while the light cover itself clips into the black plastic bracket, with no seal/gasket between . Aint so with mine - its the goopy stuff that's holding the cover on, not the clips - I can't even get the clips to engage because they're blocked by the goopy stuff buildup. I haven't found a clear diagram what clips are meant to be there but none are obviously broken, unless there's meant to to be one at the centre top.

The goopy stuff seems to be either degraded u-channel or sealant. Maybe it isn't needed at all, or maybe it was put there to sort a leak in the first place and has become too degraded, so needs to be replaced. I don't know. I do know I need to scrape/clean it off to work it out, but...

1) If the clips don't turn out to hold it alone, what can I use to temporarily hold it while I work something out? Would some kind of silicone that I could peel off work? blu tac? tape of some sort? I'm awfully wary of the cover breaking.

2) If some kind of sealant replacement is needed, the only idea I've come up that would let me replace bulbs by taking off the cover & not having to remove the entire assembly is u-channel. If u-channel, would I try and fit it into the gap between the metal of the light assembly & plastic bracket, or on the cover itself (have asked places, but got conflicting suggestions)? Alternatively is there a selastic type product that won't permanently adhere?

Thanks in advance,
Tania.
===
If anyone else comes accross this in a search on leaks, here's a good thread link (that also links to another good thread): http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45943

No plants = no life on earth - so go forth and plant green things!