View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 03:39 PM

Re: Somebody help me save this car!

How far away is this car from you?

If he is going to send it to a salvage yard anyway, why not let you have first crack at salvage? Does the pearlie owner have a quote from the scrap yard?

Is he willing to wait a little while, to allow you to swap the parts on a saturday, or something?

If you could get both cars in the same location, with a few tools... If I were in the neighborhood, I'd come down and help, but I am nowhere near... Any other SVX'ers in the neighborhood?

A day's worth of wrenching would possibly get the white car driveable. Even quicker if you pull the black parts beforehand, and have them ready to go onto the white car. A strut swap on the front, and a wheel/tire from the black car on the rear left of the pearlie, might even get the pearlie mobile enough to drive it to the location where the black car is, for body-part swap time.

You could combine the cars, get the pearly stabilized with ebony parts, and get it driveable every day for you, and pull any other parts you need or want...

Then send the black car's empty shell, and the crushed white parts to the salvage yard, and give whatever scrap value $$$ to the current owner of the pearlie. You basically trade your black car's scrap value for getting the pearlie with black parts on.

I would pull the tail lights, interior, wheels, and anything of any e-bay or SVX-network sale value from the black car that can be dis-assembled with a screw driver or a wrench. Selling that stuff to the network guys here, or completing the pearlie's condition back to running would probably be worth the wrench time, and help with the monetary situation. You might as well make the money, rather than a salvage yard making the money... or crushing the value of those parts into oblivion.

If you have access to a shop, maybe even pull the black car's engine/drivetrain, and glass for spares... but that might not be a shade-tree mech job.

-The unrecoverable parts, go with the black damaged shell to scrap metal for whatever value that is.

-the recoverable car goes to you for a driver while you figure out your Legacy issue,

-the pearlie owner gets the money from the scrap yard that he would be getting by sending the recoverable pearlie anyway.

Maybe in this case some sweat equity could help both you and the pearlie owner out.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 07-23-2009 at 03:50 PM.