View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Totaled (but barely) 97 LSI : (

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
Rear- ended and deployed the airbags and broke the windshield? Did you get pushed into the back of another car or something?

In Utah there's nothing special required to re-register a totaled car at all. My '97 Legacy GT wagon was T-boned on the passenger side last summer and the insurance company totaled it out. I bought it back, put a couple of doors on it that *sort of* work (even though the B-pillar is pushed in a few inches and the rear door jamb and quarter panel is tweaked), had a standard safety inspection, and I drive it to this day. The State made me sign a form to apply for a new branded (salvage) title, but there was no inspection of the repairs beyond the standard safety inspection. (I did get an estimate to have it repaired properly and found the cost to be excessive in relation to the value of the car, so I just did the best I could with it.)
every state is different. I used to live in North Dakota and I bought a 96 honda civic that had a salvage title, it had hail dents all over the top, and even some on the sides. the pillars had dents that im sure could not be fixed easily so the insurance called it totaled.
So I bought the car and the title has a disclaimer on it that says previously salvaged and that is the extent of it.
Fl makes you pay more and jump through some hoops I sold the car.