View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 AM
MacArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDexler View Post
I had similar problems when I was looking for mine last spring. First, I only found two within 300 miles of Los Angeles. I'm beginning to think that Subaru sold 10 SVXs in Southern California out of the 14,000 or so sold in the U.S. I found what seemed to be a nice one in Reno, and another in Albuquerque. The thought of rust scared me away from any northeastern cars. The one I finally found was 100 miles away, and I drove down with a friend to see and test it. The owner had receipts for work done, and we had agreed on a price if the car was acceptable to me. It was, but he had not registered it, so it took about a month before I could bring it home. I used the checklist in the How-To Documents section, got a CarFax report, and generally did due dilligence on it. And, I like it more and more each day. But believe me, buying a car that you can't get to in a few minutes drive is scary. It has issues, but none of them involve rust or severe usage. Not only are used SVXi scarce here, owners are equally scarce. You guys in the east can say "lets have a meet," and you get 47 replies in a couple of days. I posted the idea of having a meet at the Petersen Automotive Museum, and I got five replies from a range of 250 miles. Makes me sad.
Paul
Hi. We'd prefer one from a southern area, too. One was for sale in Florida, but the free CARFAX that etz bseder gave us reported the car had spent its first 12 years in Massachusetts until June of this year. When we emailed the CARFAX report to that FL used car dealership, the asking price suddenly dropped $1,000 on Autotrader the next day. CARFAX also reported the car was driven about 12,000 miles/year for the first 7 years, but only 4,000 miles/year during the next 5 years (including the obvious long drive from MA to FL), which aroused suspicion of odometer tampering. We have yet to receive one response from the three emails we've sent to that dealer, however. Thanks everyone.