View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Need driver's side runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
WOW! Did not know there was such a variety. Looks like you'll have to do some R & D to find out what works and report back.

I have a few perfect door sills in beige that don't have the clips. It would be nice for these to be reused by someone here. Its easy to take off the slippery surface of the plastic; just a quick wipe with acetone or lacquer thinner

Great work, Tony.

Well, I did get it to work...or so it seems. The sill has been attached for several days now and appears to be well bonded. It wasn't easy and I spent some time measuring the old sill with calipers. The problem is that the distance from the body frame to the inside surface of the sill increases as you go from the outboard edge to the inboard side that goes over the carpeting. At the very outboard edge, the distance is about .090". So I bought 3m of .045" thick tape and stacked it. At the outboard edge I used three pieces for .135" of total thickness. Then, near the middle where the tabs were, I used four pieces or .18". These foam tapes tend to shrink over time and that is why I went a little thicker than I probably needed to. I could have used two and three pieces of .06" thick tape, for example. However, it turned out that there appears to be very little gap between the sill and the body frame. I guess I expected .045" of gap to look bigger than it does. I used up the whole roll of tape which cost around $10 and a little isopropyl alchohol. The tape is extremely strong so I am hoping it will hold up and $10 beats the $50+ a new sill would have cost.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything