View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 10:51 PM

Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
You should follow through suspecting the inhibiter switch.

Presuming that the battery is in all respects 100%. ----

You advise "It started for me once today without an issue."

You have an intermittent fault and must take this into account and search accordingly. Push and pull things as you check and test.

You advise that it goes up to only 20 amps when you apply voltage to the starter. This indicates that :-

* There is a voltage drop between the starter and the battery i.e. resistance in the wiring and connections. Or :-

The starter or the starter solenoid is faulty is not applying a normal load against the battery.

The inhibiter switch is disrupting full voltage to the solenoid.

You advise that "I never noticed this before but the climate control, clock and radio turn off when the ignition switch is turned to "start"."

This indicates that there is voltage drop affecting the overall electrical network.

* Check for voltage drop across the starter supply circuit by measuring for voltage between the battery positive terminal and the main starter terminal while cranking the car. If there is anything close to say a one volt drop you have identified that your problem involves the main battery supply circuit.
Kia ora Tony,

It would appear that all along the car has been telling you that it is in reverse bur unfortunately the message has become confused. Probably the indicator light was affected along with the climate control etc.

It has been emphasised that you should adhere to a logical sequence of fault finding but unfortunately the weather has been solidly against you and it is significant that only now have you been able to properly start the sequence at square one. Nice and warm down here so wishing you the luck need.. LOL

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 02-05-2019 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Clarity