View Single Post
Old 02-03-2019, 09:49 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

When I say it won't start I mean it does absolutely nothing when I turn the key to start. No turning of the starter, no clicking noise...nothing but silence. That it why I started to suspect the starter interrupt relay. I know I pulled out the wrong relay as it only had three contacts. My car is OBD2 and I think the starter interrupt relay is located way up near where the throttle cable goes into the firewall. It is really hard to see and grab and appears to he held in with a barb-style plastic fastener. A real PITA!

When the damn snow melts and my more flexible sons are home, I will try to trace voltages. My gut tells me to suspect the security module. That has acted up now and then and it controls the starter interrupt relay. When I say it acts up, it sometimes will beep the horn as I am driving down the road for no reason. If I pull over and restart the car, it stops beeping. So it is clearly not well.

Is that starter interrupt relay really normally closed? I ask because my wiring diagram shows it as open, implying normally open. Either way, I am of the mindset to remove it and short the appropriate pins. I don't think anyone will be stealing this car.

On the security module, if I replace that, can I reprogram my key fobs to work with it or do I need the key fobs that were programmed for it?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything