View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
wouldn't keeping it in power mode most of the time hurt the tranny? hurt gas milage? or do any harmful things overall?
No
No
And er, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en View Post

This causes me to believe that power mode has either no impact on transmission life, or a positive effect.

As far a milage is concerned, I have noticed no drop in mileage at all. There is some voodoo math involved here to figure out which is more economical, as when the engine is spinning the transmission faster, less torque is required to achive the same speed, so engine load drops, but injection becomes more frequent. I don't think you will suffer a significant milage drop (except for the small fact the power mode makes it more fun to keep your right foot smashed against the firewall.)

These are just guesses, but I feel they have merit.

-Patrick
I agree here and I have been saying this a long time.

Phil runs his jdm with the Power switch on all the time. I used also do so when I had the Claret.

As I check all tanks of fuel from brim to brim, and record it [sad, or what? ] I know from driving that running with the Power shift map only makes little or no difference to consumption of fuel. From my own records 1 mpg worse or no difference is typical. I can't say if in some cases the Power map caused improvement in consumption, but this might be unrealistic, as gains could be cancelled by the fact you would enjoy driving in a more sporty manner, and so use more fuel.

Also, redlightning, BMW autos also have a "sport" button to run a more sporty shift map on theirs. This switch does not come with a warning about gearbox destruction.

I rest my case.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl