View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Thanks Nomake.

Since you don't use the econ button and econ light, what would be good to achieve would be to use the shifter button [which I am assuming is MANU on your cars, but nobody has confirmed yet] and rewire it so it is dual purpose.

In the ON position, like it is wired now, it could activate the MANU map in the gearbox.

In the OFF position it could be wired to ground pin A4 and to light up the ECON bulb. This would give you Power mode all the time which would be indicated by the Econ light. I reckon this would be useful to the OBD2 guys whose Power light does not come on.

If you feel the need for more sedate driving, then switch on Manu. The SVX has buckets of torque for starting in 2 range. I drove my first SVX for a year with only 3 range working until I found someone who could fix the gearbox

Joe
I would be happy to confirm for you that the US shifter button is indeed "MANUAL." Just like my old Legacy!

I do have to comment on your concept, though... the "MANUAL" switch is a single-pole switch, so it merely makes or breaks the connection to the manual function of the TCU. Much like the JDM "Power Mode" switch works, and the UK's "Economy" switch.

Therefore, wiring it as dual-purpose would be somewhat tedious. Not saying you can't do it, far from it; but it would be a tedious excercise for little gain.

Also, it is my understanding that, like the ECON light, the POWER light still exists but is merely not lit up by any normal functioning of the car. Therefore, rather than wiring the ECON light to display power mode, why not do the same amount of work required and wire the POWER light instead?