View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSVX View Post
I have been able to locate the antenna wires easily enough but not the power wire for the antenna to install a switch so I simply unplugged the power at the antenna motor.
Well, it is nice to be able to use your radio when there is severe weather, traffic problems, an outbreak of zombie polar bears, etc.

The motorized antenna actually has two power leads. One, connected from the battery (through a fuse), powers the motor itself. You don't need to mess with that.

The second lead is a low-current control. The head unit (HU, or radio) uses this to command the antenna to raise and lower. The HU supplies +12V on that lead during the entire time it wants the antenna up. That lead is pin #18 on the SVX's radio harness (Blue wire on my SVX installation harness -- see my homepage for pin-out table). Your installer connected that to a Blue/White wire on the Pioneer's harness.

All you need to do is break that connection (between the Pioneer's harness and my harness) and install a two-terminal switch (single pole single throw, or "SPST") in between. You'll need to extend the wires so you can mount the switch somewhere convenient. Or find a switch that has a few feet of wires already soldered on -- many car stereo shops will have those, since they're used for car alarm systems.