View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Re: SMALL single turbo project, thoughts welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I am not selling anything anymore. I don't even own an SVX anymore.

I did budget builds, I did big budget builds, and everything in between.

The car is going on 20 years old. There is $3000 worth of work to be done just to make it roadworthy for the most part. Planning a $500 turbo build on a car that is off the road for issues is foolish. So far, there is no plan for an oil cooler. No plan for a decent engine management system (crucial for any build). No plan for an exhaust system which can cost $500 in just components, no plan for a new clutch for the 5mt swap thats not done yet... No plan for a cooling system upgrade or even maint. No timing belt consideration... Hell an oil change can throw this build off budget.

Gotta do long term thinking, and quite frankly $500 is not gonna get this off the ground

Tom
Tom, you've been around these cars for a long time. I respect your opinion and input. Let me clarify that I've been VERY guilty of leaving out details that I considered obvious. The thing that I'm getting the most criticism about is the budget. Allow me to clarify what I have and haven't considered in that budget.

A whole lot of the reason this build is possible, on the budget that I'm working with, is that I have a TON of parts just laying around already from other projects. I've had a dozen or so 3000GTs and Stealths, and many others I've worked on for friends...lots of turbo related parts have piled up over the years. I have oil coolers galore, and I had considered that a given with this project, which is why I didn't mention it. I have intercoolers laying around, I have lots of leftover exhaust-fab materials, I have everything I need for the fuel system already in my possession, as leftovers from other projects. I have spare EGT and wideband gauges and sensors just sitting around doing nothing, etc. In other words, the $500 budget is basically for the things I do not already have, and it's just for the turbo-related stuff.

I'm not counting the clutch, driveshaft extension that I'll no doubt need, or other miscellaneous service I'll be doing in the process. I re-iterate, I do know what I'm doing and have put a lot of thought into this build that I haven't necessarily discussed here. All the same, I'm appreciative that you brought it up. As far as engine management goes, as I said, I've ordered a stage1 from LAN, with the older-style board. I've already written ROMs for this project, and will be comparing them to the tunes he has used to see if I'm at least on the right path. I have quite a bit of experience tuning forced induction cars, and a little experience with direct ECU tuning. With access to the fuel and timing maps, anything goes.

I don't have it ALL figured out, and that's what this thread is really for. For me to organize my thoughts as I go along, and seek input from the more experienced SVXers such as yourself. Truth be told I'm nowhere near far enough into this project to know what it's going to cost, and I'm willing to go severely over budget to get it done "right". I put that word in quotes because my standard of doing it right may not be up to par with some others. All I'm concerned with is: will it work, and hold up for at least a few years? Because within that time-frame, I'm bored and re-doing it anyway.