View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 01:45 PM

Re: help,turn key to start,no sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
I didn't consider it confrontational, just a bit misleading and wrong. CLEARLY, what I am about to say does NOT apply to this current problem but does apply to every 92 USDM model that I have looked at.

The FACTORY relay USES ONLY 4 Pins----TRUE, but it IS a 5 PIN receptacle PLUG for the relay with only 4 wires going to it and a blank area for the 5th pin to fit. ALSO, the 5 pin BOSCH relays used in both the factory and NORMALLY the bypass have TWO (2) 87 Pins (87 and 87a) which are obviously the same so only one is used. It is actually just a 4 pin relay configured with 5 pins for optional mounting plug situations. Again,ONLY one of the 87 pins is used.

I can provide a wiring harness pic of the 4 wire, 5 receptacle plug if you are still in doubt.

Not being confrontational--just accurate.

Lee
Thanks, Lee!
The reason for only 4 wires would be that that particular 5 terminal relays function requires the use of only 4 terminals and is not even relevant. The extra terminal is the way of running the start circuit through the normally closed relay points to complete the desired starting circuit path, of course that has to be one of the only 4 terminals that are used. Naturally, as you know, the Bosch 4 terminal relay will not work in that situation.

Keith