View Single Post
Old 07-31-2002, 07:44 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Rollback and Carfax

As a person who works at an auto auction and sees these things all the time I'll be the first one to say that carfax sucks! Basically these companies use any info out there (wrong or right) as a basis for reporting and since they put money on the title (carfax is $5000 that it is a clean history) they are only going to loose money by not reporting a problem. I recently sold a 97 Impreza with 240000 miles on the title simply because of an error when it was titles (should have said 24,000). My guess is the auction was in error when they did their CR. The bad thing about Carfax is they don't provide any back up for their findings. This is what I would do.

1. Look at the title the seller has. What are the miles on it and the date on it. Its illegal to use an used odo in most states esp for a legitimate dealer. If the person did it themselves thats different but I would doubt it. I'm sure the lease company already slapped them with a hefty fee and probably pursued fraud charges.
2. Go to Subaru with the vin and run a complete history of the cars service history. If it had a 60k service a while back bingo. It has a ton of miles on it more than likely.
3. If you get me the full vin I'll see if I can research it for ya at work.
4. What's your plan for the car? Drive it til it dies, collect it, drive it for a year then sell it? This will tell if its worth it a car with Not Actual Miles is typically worth about 15%-20% less then one with a good history at that age but as the car ages and gets more miles on it the NAM value comes closer to the actual value of a clean car. A clean title is always worth more in the eyes of collectors but I have a feeling this will begin to change since there is sooo much info out there regarding miles and such but there is no uniform way for checking and correcting errors.
5. Don't think your gonna get it corrected b/c unless you have 3 months to let it sit and are willing to invest about 100 hours of your time fixing the problem your won't get it done.