View Single Post
Old 10-21-2003, 01:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Update

I have talked to a few of you, seeking your advice, so I thought I'd post an update here, rather than telling the story a hundred times again (and wasting more of other peoples' time).

Basically, the dealer (while trying to find the source of the short in the ilumination circuit) shorted out the headlamp switch and the 'illumination control module.' They did this by plugging a meter into the circuit in place of the fuse. The meter reads to 50 amps, and when they ofund the short, 50 amps went through the circuit for an extended duration. I'll remind you that this is on a 10-amp circuit.

In the words of one of my coworkers, 'they're lucky they didn't just set the car on fire.'

So when the service writer called me, he gave me a quote for $735 to replace these parts.

Ow.

I was obviously pissed, because these were parts they broke because they didn't protect a 10-amp circuit with a fuse.

I visited the dealer and talked to the service manager. We agreed that they'd take responsibility for the parts, and I'd pay for the labor to install them - which comes to 2.5 hours. I had accepted, in my mind, that the short may take them up to three hours to find, so 2.5 hours total, instead of $735, isn't so bad. I'm probably being generous, but at least we're parting on good terms.

Now the question is when they can get the parts and when I can get my car back.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE