View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 02:17 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Restoration of Pearl 94 LSI - Electrical issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Harvey, sorry but you do have to guess who my electrical engineer friend is and he was trying to understand the actual reason for your post.

He and I read the page of the manual you posted. You are correct in saying that 15.5 volts is not accepted as normal, provided that the a normal battery is normally connected for normal charging.

But as the manual shows the voltage can rise to 16 volts without there being an actual alternator fault, as this is the upper limit set by the regulator.

By the way my friend points out that there is not a secondary fail-safe Zener diode within the regulator as you have described.

As you said, there should be battery voltage on the wire, but what has all this to do with svxcuseme's problem and how can 15.5V-16V cause the indicator lights to come on as you said in your post? What is wrong
with the advice that I have posted?

Thank you John for the relay. I don't think your friend has a clue what he is talking about.

Quote:
He and I read the page of the manual you posted. You are correct in saying that 15.5 volts is not accepted as normal, provided that the a normal battery is normally connected for normal charging.
I don't think for a minuet that this battery, is not connected to a normal alternator in a normal car.

Quote:
But as the manual shows the voltage can rise to 16 volts without there being an actual alternator fault, as this is the upper limit set by the regulator.
The manual shows that 16 volts is upper limit set by the zener diode, to protect the cars systems, in the event of the black/red sense wire, becoming open circuit. This is why it has set the warning lights. The upper limit set by this reg, and all automotive 12 volt regulators is 14.8 volts.

Quote:
By the way my friend points out that there is not a secondary fail-safe Zener diode within the regulator as you have described.
This may be news to your friend, but in electronics, a zener diode is universally used to set voltage levels.

Quote:
As you said, there should be battery voltage on the wire, but what has all this to do with svxcuseme's problem and how can 15.5V-16V cause the indicator lights to come on as you said in your post? What is wrong
with the advice that I have posted?
This is the wire that the regulator uses to see what the battery voltage is, to control the system voltage. If this wire is not connected to the battery voltage, the regulator falls back on the Zeners diode's set limit of 16 volts and sets the warning lights. 16 volts is the maximum voltage allowed by the electronic components used in the cars controllers.
This is the connection, I believe is related to Svxcueseme's problem.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.