View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Restoration of Pearl 94 LSI - Electrical issues

So I'm restoring a 94 Pearl LSI. I'm halfway finished and some dash lights are throwing me a curve. I've read almost every post here regarding lights on the dash (including Trevors posts), but I still need some help. Here's the issue...

When the car is running, the Charging (Battery), Brake, and Stop Lamb dash lights are illuminated. I have swapped in 2 different alternators from 2 other SVX's and the lights are still on.

I have unplugged the Alternator plug, while running and the lights go out...hurray! So its an alternator issue, right? Hang on, If I use that same alternator in my daily driver SVX, the dash lights do not illuminate and I read ~14.5 volts charging at the battery. The same alternator produces ~15.5 volts at the battery on the SVX with the dash lights on.

I have tried a new battery, but not a new battery with a swapped in Alternator....hmm..I wonder if I have a bad battery too? O.K. next step is to test the battery's load response and/or swap the battery that I know is good from daily driver into the 94.

Regardless, I would appreciate any input from those that have resolved a similar issue or any EE's, or really anyone for that matter, that wants to weigh in. Just looking to repair the issue so I can move on the remainder of restoration, repainting black top and trunk lid, replacing rusted sunroof drip tray, rear diff thumbing issue, oil leaks from valve covers, non functional AC, etc.

Here are some other electrical issues I've noted.
  • Battery to body ground repaired. Was rusted badly and I replaced the ground wire with a heavy gauge wire and ran it to the tie down hook bolt on the frame rail.
  • Rack & Pinion was replaced at some time prior to my ownership, with a non-speed sensitive unit. The wire harness connector for the rack is unplugged, obviously...nothing to plug it into.
  • One of the Transmission wire harness plugs was damaged while swapping in a good transmission. The plastic surround was broken but the mail wire connectors were undamaged. This plug is held together with electrical tape, until I find time to repair it correctly. The car shifts fine, no issues with the transmission.

Last edited by svxcuseme; 03-03-2011 at 11:11 AM.