View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 04:51 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman59718
Hey guys. Let me just tell everyone the story to bring you up to speed. Sorry it's a little long, but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible to give you gurus out there any pertinent information that will hopefully help you to give me some ideas on this one. ----------------

------------------ Anyway, I'm going to try to go through all the relays, etc. this weekend. I was just hoping for a little direction. Sorry about the long post, but I can tend to be a bit wordy

Regards,

-Dave
Nasty problem Dave.

First -- The original problem was the alternator. The cause, engine washing with a conductive solution which damaged the diode network in the alternator.

Second ---You did the wrong thing by running the car with the battery disconnected. The voltagew will have gone sky high and with fauly diodes there will have been a strong AC component introduced onto the supply line.

Third ---You bypassed the fuse link, destroying the protection it afforded therefore restoring the damaging high current condition.

Four ---- N.B. You fitted the alternator so called "upgrade". I have here several times, pointed out the problems involved to no effect. This stupid mod. bypasses the alternator fuse. Result, the main link opened as a result of a very high and distructive ciurrent. The total resulting damage is difficult to ascertain.

Copnclusion. ---- AC spikes appear to have shot the blocking diodes in the cruise control/start inhibit circuit and probably others elsewhere.
It would appear that as yet you have not fitted a replacemant alternator. First remove the "alternator upgrade" and replace the alternator. Second, replace the main fuse link. Third, make sure the battery is connected and charged.

Important ---- Do not replace any fuses or the link, with other than the specified current rating, especially if they open (blow).

Start the car and carefully observe the results with fingers crossed. If you notice anything seriously astray, shut the engine down immediately. Report back the syptoms which remain.

You have my sympathy, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 04-14-2006 at 05:04 PM.