View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 07:23 AM
the Flying Member

Send a message via AIM to pylon500 Send a message via Yahoo to pylon500 Send a message via Skype™ to pylon500
Quote:
Don't have me a CB radio yet
OK, I actually have two, but I'm talking old fashion 40 channel AM stuff!
What sort of spec's do we need these days in layman turms!

Still hoping to make it to the drive, my waterpump is holding out, but I'm not to sure about one of my cam belt pulleys.
Had a VERY cold start the other morning which resulted in some funny noises from up front, upon having a look I noticed one of my cam pulleys trying to walk off the end of it's mounting stud! I can see this sort of stuff as all the attach lugs on my centre belt cover have broken off, so it's not fitted! 'again'
Also I suspect my belt tensioner was having a problem with the cold and allowing the belt to go a bit 'floppy'

For those that are interested, with most (if not all) Subaru engines, if you loose a cam belt, it does not automatically destroy the engine like most other cars.
It just stops.
Interestingly enough, if your belt jumps a tooth or so, it will actually keep running!
I discovered this in my haste to reassemble my engine and not noticing that my belt had moved THREE teeth on one side, and FOUR on the other, yet it actually started!!

The 'floppy' belt does go away after the engine heats up, but I'm still cautious.
I guess I'll have a better idea by the end of the week.
Arthur.

Maybe I should have started another thread for this?
'04 Liberty B Spec 3.0R wagon-Silver
'02 Outback 2.5 wagon-White For Sale

I Don't Drive Fast, I Just Fly Low!!
I've moved to Taree , check out my progress at Picasaweb.

That's a 'V' in SVX dammit!