View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 01:03 AM

Modding/repairing a used SVX?

Hello,
This is my first post here, so hopefully this is in the right place (moderators, feel free to relocate). I just bought a '92 LS-L. I'm in love with this car and ideally I would like to just put all of my money into upgrading it, but I know that's not very reasonable considering both my status as a college student with a limited budget, and the age and condition of the car.

Here's the scoop: the car runs fine--great considering the circumstances. The transmission is a tad rough when shifting, but I only noticed because I was looking for it after spending some time in this forum. This is amazing because the car has 200,000 miles on it. Yes, 200,000. The wheel bearing have already been replaced, and no problems with the rotors as of yet. I got it from close family that I can trust. It's had regular mainenance, yearly tranny flushes, etc. Everything on it is stock (except the $2,000+ sound system and $1,200 rims that they put on it before I bought it ) As my only car, this will be my daily vehicle, and as someone else here so wonderfully put it, I'm an "aggressive" driver.

So basically, what would you guys recommend I do to/for an SVX with 200,000 miles on it? I'm looking for high value (bang for the buck) modifications and reliability here. I want to keep this car running great. I don't need super performance (I'll get myself in trouble), but some boost would be nice. I'm worried about the tranny because it's so old. Would you guys recommend buying a cooler or should I save my money for a rebuild/replacement? Is it a ticking timebomb, or is it OK if it's made it this long? What's this ECUtune stuff? What does it do? Should I replace my rotors now or wait until (if/when) they warp?

I might want to replace the leather. I read a "how to" somewhere on doing this at home. I'm willing to do the work, but I don't want it to look bad afterwards. Is it something a beginner can do and have it turn out good, or should I leave it to the pro's?

The bottom line...
I read the "what mods are you most satisfied with?" thread, but I don't even know what most of those are. If you guys could point out some mods that are really effective and well-worth the time and money and would best fit my situation, I think I can research them and do the rest.

75% of what I know about cars, I've learned from this forum, so don't get too technical with me, but any advice would be so greatly appreciated. I know I'm asking a lot...

Thanks,
Jessica