View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 06:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Re: Re: Wierd acceleration problem

Thanks for the reply Harvey:

Giday James, That description would involve everything from a old coffee cup under the pedal to a seizing engine.

If the pedal has a definite resistance to movement, then it would seem to be in the throttle cable, the cruse cable, the throttle butterfly, or the calf muscle below the knee.

That was the first thing I thought of so I pulled over and, with engine running, put it in 'N' and played around with the accelerator - the revs rose and fell at the same rate of throttle application....ie, gentle press and the rpm increased gently...more aggressive application saw it rise faster....taking foot off throttle saw them fall immediately....this is something I forgot to mention, when the 'sticking' happens, if I back off, it still feels like power is being applied for about 1.5 to 2 secs, then it drops off.....also, the power light remain illuminated (when a full throttle application to activate that mode) for about 1.5-2 secs after my foot is taken off the accelerator.

When it, as you say, " then BAM the revs go through the roof and the car tears off down the road". Do the revs go up first then, the car 'tears off down the road". Or do the revs and the car accelerate together?

I wil check again tonight but from memory, it is simultaneous...a sequence is like this

60kph...about 2000rpm
More throttle applied, resistance felt though pedal, like its being pushed against a spring - rpm and speed do not change
Increase throttle application about 50% now
Revs climb to about 4500rpm, engine opens up, very prominent 'shunt' throughout the car - like it was dropped back 2 gears - James flung back in seat, pedestrians shake fists in air

If the revs go up first, then it accelerates, it is a transmission problem. If they both go up together then it's a problem with the engine hesitating.

Its not like a 'flaring' where rpm increases without corresponding increase in speed....its like I can't get the rpm to increase (imagine that the acceletaror arm was 'bending' in the middle - closed analogy that I can draw)

Check the throttle and cruse cables for kinks. The fact that it is ok in N, doesn't mean as much as what is it like with the motor turned off. Is it smooth then or not.

Motor turned off??? What should be smooth with engine off???

Thanks

James

PS: had a transmission cooler fitted about 300km but this has happened once before before the cooler was fitted

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!