View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX
Re: STi brakes, the brute force way!

BUMP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Destiny View Post
As concerns mounting aftermarket calipers and rotors, I believe another member* had been working on such a project to make an inexpensive kit for our cars, however he ran into some snags.

Namely that brake hardware must, for safety reasons, be manufactured of the highest quality materials. He had a batch of caliper horns made up but when he had them x-rayed, found the quality lacking - the metal had numerous micro-fractures in it and was therefore unsuitable.

If you have access to better quality stuff, there is no reason that this wouldn't work.

That said, the big plus here is that, as noted, you get the STi hubs, and that you can use anything designed for a car with a huge aftermarket.
Right. This is the reason that most parts are something in the range of a 5140 CR steel that is forged to shape.

That doesn't mean that a billet piece could not do the same work. On the contrary; most brake and suspension components on high end racing vehicles are billet and CNC fabricated. So it becomes a question of material selection. Doing the FEA is not a problem.

I have CNC capability in my shop. Maybe I'll take a crack at caliper adapters.

Right after I finish the strut cartridge project. I suppose I need to write an update on that.

-Mike O