View Single Post
Old 09-18-2002, 08:41 AM
"high" in Colorado

It finally happened....

Picture this.....
Friday I was on my way to Telluride for the Blues and Brews Festival with a friend visiting from Texas. This was sappose to be a motorcycle trip, but decicded to take the SVX at the last minute.
All was well until about 40 miles from Telluride.....punched the gas to pass a tourist....nothing happened.....thought I was coming to a stop, then it settled into a gear (2nd, I think), I kept going...

Monday we drove home the 342 miles in the "limp home" mode. I think this is second gear, with a reverse. (Zepp...didn't you play this game??) I was glad to have it. I had already made plans to crawl to Montrose, and leave it with the dealer there.... rent a car...etc, etc. "limp home" was working... Got on I-70 in Grand Junction (Hi Michelle!), set the cruise for 60...and slowly limped back home. It was really weird riding in the right lane, being passed by VW bugs, semi trucks, buses, RV's etc....I had to draw the line at the Baptist church bus from Texas...65 mph, around I went...

BTW...this was the original tranny...a 92 with 164k well maintained miles...

Of course I am going to get a new tranny....I Love the car...and I have too much in it to give up now.

I am looking at my options...
1st Subaru parts: $2917.87 plus 10% shipping....

Is this a Suby re-manufactured tranny? Is it a improved version over what I have now? what kind of warrenty comes with a re-manufactured ?

I have apart # (31000AB860) is this correct?

Is Level 10 worth the effort? (Steve, is yours a level 10?)

BEAV...what do you recommmend?

...sorry for the length...I just had to tell my story...
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)