Thread: head unit help
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline10
i think the stock cage was removed with the stock head unit when he put a pioneer head unit.....or maybe he used it with that, but now i don't see that either.
If your car still has the big "audio cover door" that matches the dash trim and hides the double-DIN radio stack, then you still have the stock cage -- the door is attached to the cage.

See my SVX Audio Installation Guide for pictures and everything you need to know.

Quote:
now i need the right wiring harness because apparently the one from the old car, isn't the right one for the new car.
You lost me there. All SVXs have used the same 20-pin radio harness plug.

Did the previous owner cut the SVX's stock radio plug? If so, then you need to decide whether you want to restore your SVX to stock and get a wiring adaptor (the mating plug that connects to it) -- recommended, or just hard-wire your new head unit's wiring harness in place of the Pioneer's. If you do the latter and ever want to change radios again, you'll have to mess with the wires inside your dash again.

Compare what's in your car to the pictures in my guide. If your SVX now has something other than the stock radio plug or a Pioneer harness, send a picture and I can recommend what do to.