Thread: Server Failure
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2001, 09:55 PM
The Road Less Traveled

300W is A-OK

Chris,

Don't sweat it. You're running a dual PIII-500 with 2 hard drives, right?

The 300W is OK. Find a 250W for your desktop, or give me an address so I can forward one to you. I've got 250W's coming out of my wazoo, but no 350's.

Besides, unless you get a REAL brand name 350W's, most of them (and for that matter, most of the 300Ws on the market) are overspec'd. I know of many that were born as a 250W with a label switched.

I've run a Dual PIII-550 with 5 10kRPM SCSI HD's in RAID 5 without problems on a 300W. If it's running now, it'll likely stay running. The memory problem, however, I'm more concerned with. Either take down the server for 2 hours and run a memory tester (www.simmtester.com, there's a freebie, and works REAL well), or try a program called Burn-In Test, but that may eat up CPU cycles and bring the server to a halt for the other tasks anyways.

I'd also be willing to have my server to be used for whatever purpose if you need to take down yours. It's always on, with the occasional reboot (for maintenance purposes), and I get pretty good bandwidth even on cable (there must be no one in my neighbourhood with a computer or something ).

VK