Thread: Server Failure
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2001, 06:22 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Unhappy

Tuesday morning -- 5am -- April 17th, 2001 (One day after hell)

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I and my pocket book hoped for the later. Shortly after going to bed (after a very hellish tax deadline day... everything had to go wrong) and I thought all would be behind me...... BEEP BEEP!! Pager alert! Yes boys and girls, this site has gone big time. We have a monitoring service that will call or page when the server is crying. (Does anyone want to be administrator yet?) I woke from my sleep to find ------------ (long pause...... [insert scary music here]...... ) the SVX server was dead! When you think you have just about every base covered too. Multiple CPUs, RAID hard drive system, large battery backup... but only one power supply. POOF! I suppose I will have to rebuild the server with a case that supports dual redundant power supplys, but that wont be any time soon.

BRIEF SUMMARY: The SVX server power supply took a long dive off the deep end. I have no spares so my desktop machine made the crucial organ donation. We are about 50 watts on the weak side too. The dead one was a 350 watt and the organ transplant is a 300 watt. This can only be temporary. I need my desktop machine to function as well. To top things off, the memory might have been damaged. Time will tell on the memory issues. If the server becomes unstable, the memory will have to be replaced. I have already dealt with three memory errors

In ending, here is the final results. I have been out trying to find a job, and althouhg I "MAY" have one soon... It is a TERRIBLE pay cut leaving me with nothing but survival money. Yea.... your local SVX Administrator might have to bag groceries at Albertsons. But hey, "its YOUR store." Anyways we might be forced to take donations for a replacement. It is not a real costly part, but right now I am on a ramen noodles and Mac & Cheese diet. So, if anyone has a 350+ watt ATX power supply laying around (oh.. it still has to have the smoke IN it.... mines all leaked out) send me a PM or something. I also CANNOT check my admin or regular email since my main computer is minus a donated organ at the moment... (why does that sound bad..... Ardub?)

There it is. The good, the bad, and the ugly... Actually I dont remember any good.... (Oh yes... I didnt owe taxes.. Thats good )

Chris
SVX Admin
(whew this thing stinks)