Old 05-26-2003, 10:03 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Nobody
Hi Joe, thanx!
Whole weekend I spent driving :-))) and this car really hit my heart! I am still solving one problem. When it is old (sits over nite) I can feel some wrench when changing from P to R or D and I can feel it also during shifting. I thought it is because car was sitting in garage for one year before I bougt it so I let local Subaru mechanics to replace all fluids, belts etc. I never noticed such a behavior before so I though there is someting wrong with ATF (which was replaced too for DEXTRON III). Then one guy from the forum adviced me to remove fuse and try it in FWD and as the mechanics says there was no problem. So I am in next level of finding solution. You know here in Czech Rep. there are only 7 SVXs and localy there are only 2. So this mechanics from Subaru have not too much experience, maybe I know more about SVX than they :-))). But the boss of service is a great fan for Subaru and they give me great discounts on parts and labour.
As for Mobil1, I have to say damn! I call local repressentative of ExxonMobile and he said that Mobil1 Synthetic ATF they do not import to Czech Republic (no demand everybody has manual tranny :-)) For 10 litres I should serch all over Europe :-(

Peter
Hi Peter

Glad you are finding the car good to drive, so do we all, which is why we are SVX nuts on this site

A couple of points from your post; first, if it is only jerking in the morning, or when the oil is cold in the transmission, this is fairly normal. Some of the guys in the US in colder areas drive their cars quite a distance before the oil is warm enough to work properly. If there is no jerking or shock in the changes when the car is well warmed up, then you may not have a problem at all.

A [small] word of WARNING : do not drive your car with that fuse inserted!. The US market cars are different from the rest of the world. Putting in that fuse in an American car will make it FWD, and the back drive is decoupled from the transmission electrically. This is because US cars have an electrical clutch arrangement to take the drive from the rear of the gearbox to the back axle. Your car is Euro spec, and a lot different. When you insert that fuse, it permanently locks the differentials, so you get full-time 50-50 split, front to rear. Driving with this engaged on grippy tarmac will seriously damage your transmission. [It would be OK to engage it in soft snow or slippy muck, just like an off-roader]
To the left of your clocks, there will be a schematic diagram of a car. With the fuse in, there should be a red warning written under this diagram. The purpose of it is to warn you that the diff-lock is engaged.

Regards Mobil 1, you don't have a problem. Go to your local main BMW dealer. Their cars have very similar dual-mode transmissions to ours, they call Sport mode what we call Power mode, and standard issue for them is fully synthetic oil, just like Mobile 1 or Redline and a few others. Buy some ATF from them, it will be perfect for our transmissions. Tell them you want the same ATF as goes in the upper range 5 series.

Cheers,

Joe

By the way, if you have already replaced the oil in the tranny with Dexron 111, don't go to the expense of replacing this with fully synthetic right away. Use it for 6 months or 10,000 miles, then change to the BMW oil.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 05-28-2003 at 02:15 PM.