Thread: Changing ATF
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 12:48 PM

Peter, don't just think about the tranny cooler, DO IT! Motor-Sport does carry good ones. I have a B&M 19K GVW cooler running "in series". "19KGVW" means that it is for a 19,000 pound Gross Vehicle Weight car. The SVX is ~ 4,000 lbs so this is plenty. Remember, 2.2lbs to 1 kg.

Some people have mounted them "in parallel" in case the one in the radiator clogs up. This means that the fluid is piped through a Y fitting, with 1/2 going to one cooler, and the other 1/2 going to the other, then back together to the tranny.

I think your application would work well with it mounted "in series", or one after the other. You should have the upgraded stock cooler which does not have a screen inside and is less prone to clogging. If you also have an auxillary filter, then you should not have any clogging problems.

Mine is piped so the hot fluid from the tranny goes to the auxillary cooler first, where it is air cooled. Since air cooling is less efficient than water cooling, having hot fluid going through it reduces the total temperature better. The warm fluid then goes to the stock radiator where it is cooled further, and then back to the tranny.

Also make sure that they do not overtighten the wheels if they remove them. This often leads to the rotors warping.

Best of luck and keep an eye on those mechanics.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.