View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Question about remote starters

Yes, I do still have connectors that fit the SVX factory security harness. Makes for a neater install for a basic keyless entry or alarm system.

But if you want to install a remote start, you will probably need to install the "brain" under the dash. The ignition wires are high-current. You really don't want to run those from the dash all the way back to the trunk.

In models without the passenger airbag (1992 through some '94s) you could still use my connector, since that will go behind the glovebox and be close enough to the ignition wires. Even so, remote start systems will want you to tap several signals that aren't on the SVX's security harness (parking brake, foot brake, tachometer, etc.).

With later models (with passenger airbag), using my connector with a remote start system would mean you would need to extend all of the wires from my connector in the trunk to under the dash. I don't think it would be worth the effort.

Now if there's an alarm / remote start system that has a separate "satellite" module that handles the starter control, that would work -- you could put the brain in the trunk and the starter module near the ignition wires. But I don't know of any car alarm systems like that. Let me know if any exist.

My connector consists of just the plastic housing plus a handful of pins that you'll need to crimp (and I recommend also solder) directly onto your new security system's harness wires.

Please send any inquiries via e-mail (not PM). See link that icingdeath88 posted (thanks!) or my homepage.