View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Blue and Bronze tint windshields for sale w/molding intact

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
Would you mind sharing your technique for removal-- maybe on the technical forum? Is it a 1-person or 2-person job? I've attempted to remove a couple at the junkyard using various methods and always end up breaking them.

I've been using glass cutout wire. I get it for about $4 shipped for a 75ft roll and have learned it's best not to worry about using too much and ordered 3 rolls last time. I have done it by myself with one, but it is easier with 2 people. I've never had an issue of even thinking the glass could have a chance at breaking/cracking doing it this way. A cold knife is better for one person but I've heard of a lot of people breaking/cracking windshields with them, especially unexperienced people such as myself. I literally d how to do it, bought wire and started trying it. I've pulled many side fixed windows from parts cars, 3 back glasses from parts cars and 2 windshields from junkyards with this method. Never one crack, and can fairly easily ensure the molding does not get damaged.
I start on both sides (at the same time with one person on each side) with the wire between the a-pillar and glass(Typically use a pocket knife or steak knife to "cut" through the glue to make room to slide the wire in), inside the car and between the other A pillar and glass. Work it up somewhat close to the top, then back down to the bottom, then start working it around one corner at a time at the bottom (can do both corners on a very sunny/warm day) and eventually get the bottom clean cut. Then I work at the top with one end inside the car and the other outside the car. I start at either A pillar and slowly and carefully work around the corner. Once up to the top, it becomes a piece of cake. I usually keep a knife or screwdriver between the wire and the molding where it meets the roof to prevent any cutting or wear on that molding.

It isn't the fastest way, but it's the way I feel the most comfortable doing. I may have to ask a couple people I know that were formally in the windshield business for some tricks and faster ways.